Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Consignment Shops 101


I love having cute clothes, but again, I hate the high price tag.  I have been shopping at consignment shops for a few years now and I would like to share my tips and tricks with you.  At consignment shops you will find like new brand name clothes.

Each season(fall and spring), I go through my clothes and pick out stuff that doesn't fit anymore or that I never wear.  If it is in good condition, I take it to the consignment shop.
Selling tips:
1.  Check the store's guidelines!!!  Every store will have different guidelines for the clothes that they will take.  You can find this info on the store's website, or in person at the store.
2.  Make sure your clothes are clean and wrinkle free, they will sell better this way.
3.  Most stores will only buy in season clothes, check policies first!
4.  Most store give you two options: cash up front or consign.  I normally get cash up front.  With consigning, you will not get cash right away and your item might not sell(you won't get any money).

Buying tips:
1.  Use your cash up front money to by new clothes!  Most stores will let you apply the cash up front money like store credit.
2.  Try stuff on!  Most consignment stores won't take returns! Check store policy first.
3.  Look for sales: most stores will put items on sale that have been sitting for a while.
4.  Shop without expectations!  You never know what you will find, the items are always changing.

My Example:
I went to a local consignment shop today and they gave me cash up front for 2 pairs of jeans and a few tops.  I got $16 dollars for these items.
Here is what I found to buy:
Khakis from J. Crew in my size

Khakis from American Eagle in my size

Super cute cardigan from Talbots in my size
So here's how it all panned out:  The 3 items I bought added up to $29.60.  I applied my $16 cash up front payment to the total amount.  So I paid $13.60 for the 2 pairs of khakis and the light weight cardigan.  

Good Luck! and have fun shopping!



No comments:

Post a Comment