Saturday, January 7, 2012

Flowers!

I LOVE having fresh cut flowers around my house.  They make the house seem so much more homey, bright and cheerful.  The down side is that the flowers died and you are kind of just throwing away money.  For me, this expense is worth it.  I have a few tips to make your fresh flows last longer, stretching your flower dollar.
Tulips in my living room.  $7 from grocery store. 

1.  Try and buy flowers when they are on sale.  Most flower shops or grocery stores will put flowers on sale when they are on their last leg.  Sunflowers are my favorite, so I will sometimes pay a little more than normal for them.  
I bought flowers from the flower shop stand at my local farmers market this week.  The lady working at the stand gave me some tips:
2.  Put the flowers in warm, not hot water.  Flowers do not like cold water.  
3.  Change the water and re-cut the bottoms of the stems about every other day.  Flowers hate dirty water.  
Some other tips that I have picked up over time:
4.  Dissolve and aspirin in the flower water.  
5.  I also read that a shot of vodka in the water will make the flowers last longer.  I have never tried this one myself.  
Sunflowers in my kitchen, from the local farmers market.
$10 for 3 sunflowers and the 2 purple flowers
Enjoy your flowers!  Please share if you have any other tips for making them last longer!


No comments:

Post a Comment