Saturday, May 5, 2012

Backyard garden on a budget

I recently moved into a new house with a great backyard.  I had a great idea to plant a veggie garden this year, even though I have never done anything remotely close to successfully growing veggies.  I decided to go for it anyway.  I spent a few hours working in the garden this morning; weeding, edging, planting seeds.  I did not want to spend a lot of money on my garden; my goal for the garden is to get produce without spending a lot of money and learn how to garden in the process. 

My tips for gardening on a budget:

1.  Use what you have!  There are two flower beds in my yard that are lined with rocks; I picked through the rocks and found extra ones to create a boarder/edge for my garden.  I also found some old wood planks to use to create walkways between rows of veggies.  

2.  Don't have any materials around?  Ask neighbors, family members, friends; you never know what other have that you could use!  

3.  Plant seeds.  Seeds are much cheaper than starter plants.  If you want to use starter plants, buy the smaller ones because they are normally cheaper.  Also look for sales.  Only plant the veggies you know you are going to eat.  Don't let the veggies go to waste!  

My garden, as of today

There is no need to spend a lot of money to create a garden bed in your backyard!  So far I have planted green beans, cucumbers, carrots and sunflowers.  

Good luck and happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment