Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Thrifty DIY Fabric Flowers


This must be my new DIY crafting obsession.  I just love it, and it is super quick and easy to make.  I cannot take credit for this idea/method: I found the original tutorial here.  I followed the directions on the original tutorial, and played around with the designs and folded the fabric in different ways to get different shapes.  Play around with it; you never know what you will come up with.

I set out to make these No Sew Fabric Flowers on a budget.  I wanted to spend $10, and I spent $13.18(including tax).  So a little over what I planed to spend, BUT I have enough materials to make 50+ flowers.
All my materials 
You will need: 
Fabric
Buttons
Hair clips(if making those) 
Scissors
Glue gun
Marker 

Here's what I made:

simple, black and white

attached hair clip to back

stacked 3 flowers onto of each other, with 2 buttons

My money saving tips for this project:
1.  Shop the remnants section of the fabric store.  You do not need a lot of fabric to make these flowers, so it's ok to buy small amounts.  Most remnants sections are priced at 50% off. 
2.  Look for sales!  I bought all my buttons on sale buy one get one free.  I got 8 packs of buttons for the price of 4.  
3.  Use coupons: most fabric stores will put coupons in the Sunday papers
4.  Ask friends and family members if they have any old fabric scraps that you can have.  Also ask for buttons.  
5.  Look for buttons and fabric and flea markets, thrift store, and 2nd hand shops.  



No comments:

Post a Comment